Celiac disease is a malabsorption syndrome and chronic digestive disorder. The intestine is not able to absorb vital dietary nutrients from foods containing gliadin, an alcohol-soluble portion of gluten. This condition which is often hereditary means the sufferer has a serious intolerance to wheat (including durum, semolina and spelt), rye, oats, barley, and related grain hybrids such as tritaclae and kamut.
Arthritis refers to inflammation of the joint. The most common form of arthritis is osteoarthritis which is characterised by joint degeneration and loss of cartilage. Rheumatoid arthritis is a type of inflammatory arthritis which is also an autoimmune disorder. In this case the body's immune system attacks its own cartilage and tissue surrounding the joints.
Some detoxification experts advocate fasting, while others do not. It is known that the components of any well-designed detox program will stimulate the body to cleanse itself, but people who are underweight, are undernourished, have weak hearts, have blood sugar issues or are ill should avoid fasting. Some studies have shown that restricting food intake can actually lead to bingeing.
Hemorrhoids are extremely common in industrialised countries and it is estimated that fifty percent of persons over fifty years of age have symptoms of hemorrhoidal disease. Although most people may begin to develop hemorrhoids in the twenties, the symptoms do not become evident normally until in ones thirties!
- What is morning sickness?
- How do I treat morning sickness naturally?
- Morning sickness - Natural treatments and remedies
Some women experience nausea and vomiting early in pregnancy but it usually goes away after the third month. It can happen anytime of the day or night. Early pregnancy hormonal changes and digestive and metabolic rate changes can contribute to morning sickness. Stress can also contribute, so do whatever you can to minimize sources of stress in your life.
Nausea and vomiting seem to occur most frequently on an empty stomach and when blood sugar levels are low. Different remedies work for individual women. Try several of these suggestions to find the ones that work for you.
- Eat something high in protein before going to bed.
- Keep thermos of warm milk and honey and have some wholemeal crackers by the bed. Have on first waking and wait about 15 minutes before rising.
- Eat 4-6 small nutritious meals during the day rather than 3 big ones. This keeps blood sugar level up.
- Have healthy snacks of e.g. popcorn and yeast, brown rice and miso, wholegrain sandwich.
- Avoid spicy or greasy foods, coffee and alcohol.
- Vitamin B6 – stress and overcooked, over processed foods can deplete the body of this vitamin. Food sources include – green leafy veges; wholegrain cereals, brown rice, corn oil, prunes, egg yolk, kidney, heart, honey brewers yeast, molasses. A Vitamin B supplement with 10-25mg of Vitamin B6 taken 1 – 3 times a day can help. It should be taken as part of a B complex, so as not upset the balance of B vitamins.
- Ginger - in capsules ( 3-4 500mg capsules on waking) or as a tea (1-2 tbsp grated or chopped root ginger in non-metal pot, can add lemon/honey to taste). Sip when nauseated. Pleasant hot or cold.
- Raspberry leaf, spearmint, peppermint and peach leaf tea – any of these together or separately. ( 1 tsp in glass of warm water. Steep 5 mins).
- Apple cider vinegar (1 tbsp in glass of warm water). Add honey if desired.
- Umeboshi plums (from Health food shops). Tea made from ½ teasp paste in boiling water and honey. Balances acid/alkaline content of digestive system.
- Slippery elm powder (from Health food shops) can be very settling. Take 1 tsp in a little water twice a day
- Sleep with windows open for fresh air.
- Have a long walk in the day.
- Sip soda water.
- Try eating ½ grapefruit before meals to aid digestion.
- Eat yoghurt (preferably acidophilus).
- Wrist bands with acupressure points from chemist (also used for motion sickness) can help.
- “Nausine” homeopathic (Martin and Pleasance brand).
- Regular rests during the day are useful.
- Try to drink between meals rather than with them.
- Cell salts – ferrum phos (vomiting undigested food)
natrum mur (frothy with watery phlegm)
natrum sulph ( sour mucous and /or acid stomach)